In 1916, a Brother Steele formed a group of Brethren to practice Ritual. The group met in the Elephant Bar, North Street Belfast, and was known as "Steele's Class".
In 1944, W.Bro. James Patton was Leader of this Class and permission had been given by the Provincial Grand Master for the class to move to the Masonic Hall, Arthur Square, Belfast. The class then became known and is still known as the "Arthur Square Class of Instruction".